Thursday, 18 August 2011

St Peter, the church at Pirton, Worcestershire

We were going to Croome Court, pictures of which I will post later, and my mood was blue to say the least. not because of our day out (which was splendid and made everything feel uplifted again) but the subject matter of our conversation, circling debate about someone in my family, anyway the exact is irrelevant, the point is both my husband and I felt quite sad about it.

Then we drove around the corner and I saw this church. I screeched at how beautiful it was had to stop the car to walk around it and touch it. Just bask in it's medieval beauty.

 I love the timber frame tower. It is so honest and unpretentious compared to many churches lifting their stone towers and spires to heavenly glory.















After ten minutes with the church, with my family smiling and waving from the car and grinning with loving indulgence at my affection for old buildings, all my tension and anxiety about things I can't change or fix vanished. I felt all these  worries didn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing I can do is make my own little family content. All the bones in the walls and the churchyard were saying, 'Be happy, life is a brief whisper and then it is gone.'


No comments:

Post a Comment